Thursday, July 24, 2008

Thoughts for the day

Last night I went to Target to get some ice cream (that's worth a trip, don't you think?). And I realized that I need to clarify when I say how much I love Target. Because in reality, I love SUPER Target. A lot! I love the lighting in the store, I love their cute gadgets, I love that we're still using giftcards from our wedding to pay for stuff there. But plain Target, especially the one across the street from us, I don't love so much. It's just . . . different. For one thing, their ice cream selection was limited to 5 flavors, but beyond that tragedy, the employees aren't as helpful and happy, the lighting isn't quite as nice, and there's something about the layout compared to Super Target that's just not aesthetically pleasing. Well, it still beats WalMart!

Next random thought. I've been wondering for awhile when it will seem like I'm really Heather Severson, instead of Heather Rust. It's not that it's ever been hard to introduce myself that way, or write my name that way. Kind of like when my name was Sister Rust. You just make the change and on you go. But it always kind of felt like a lie. No, more like a game or make-believe. Around I went, parading as this one girl, when inside I've always been someone else. But the other day, my coworker asked me my maiden name, and as I told her, it sounded like a lie. Like a game, or make-believe. I guess the transition is complete.

And finally, my job is really funny. Some days the phone rings a fair amount, and there's plenty of instruments to clean, etc. But the last couple of days have been totally dead. So today I asked my boss to come up with something for me to do, and among other things, she had me make these buttons that they sale. It was really great. I copied the template onto colored paper, I cut out each button pattern into a square. And then I put each square of paper onto this machine that cut it into a circle! I want to buy one of those! No more trying to make rounded edges with scissors. And then they have the button machine which involves putting the button parts in, pulling down on the lever a couple of times, and out comes a button. I bet you're all totally enthralled by now, as if you were there watching me!

6 comments:

jeanine said...

Oh Heather... this post made me feel as though we were sitting on the (hair-covered) couches of Southridge and just talking. I loved it.

And those button making machines are pretty cool huh?

lori said...

Yes. This was a hair covered couch post.

Loved it. Love you.

heath said...

I read Lori's comment first and I was so confused. I forgot about those gross couches. How funny--good times those were though.

Heather said...

I will even more confused than you were Heather, but then again I never lived at Southridge. I love your posts and thoughts and can't wait until you are sitting there on the couch, not hair-covered though.

Heather said...

right in front of me. (realized I didn't finish that thought before I posted.)

Unknown said...

Happy Birthday! Happy Birthday! Happy Birthday!