Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Rainbows

It rained at least three times today--this morning at around 6:30 am, again at 8:30 am, and this evening at around 7:30 pm. None of the rainstorms lasted very long (typical Texas weather, or so my experience has been), but they sure do come down hard and suddenly. Luckily I was inside for all of them. At the end of the most recent one I was outside and I noticed a huge, though dim, rainbow reaching across the sky. I realized it's been a very long time since I've seen a rainbow. And as I recalled other rainbows I've seen (most of them involve mountains that the rainbow dips into), I realized how every time I see a rainbow there's a thrill that comes with it, including tonight. It begs you to point it out to others, to stare, to try and see how long you can see it as you drive along. But really, most rainbows are very much like other rainbows. Perhaps their brightness varies, their length, and there's always the wonderment of a double rainbow. So what's so special about rainbows? Maybe it's their symbolism of hope, and new life.

Seeing that rainbow reminded me of a conversation I had with my sister earlier today, which reminded me of this post, which reminded me that there is a rainbow at the end of the storm. And in this case, it's not really a storm, just a period of uncertainty and stress. When I look back, it's so easy to see how God has led me from one thing to another, never leaving me truly in the dark. Why should I doubt that He will now? What's the point of all the stress and worry--I wonder if I will ever get better at that.

There was a member on my mission who told me that when he was a missionary, he never worried when they didn't have a teaching pool (which stressed me out as a missionary). He knew that God was going to lead them to people that were ready to be taught the gospel if they just kept working. And he said it always worked--they always found people to teach in no time. What faith--I wish I had that kind of faith as a missionary. I wish I had that kind of faith now and forever!

It all goes back to the control issue. We (or I should say, I) believe that if we worry and work and search and try HARDER, we'll work it out. We hate to trust and WAIT, of all things (not that we're not supposed to put in any effort). Don't you find that more often than not, the right things for your life come into your path rather than you stepping into their path?

It's good to remember these things. It's even better to live them!

4 comments:

jeanine said...

Oh I love rainbows. What a beautiful post and a great reminder! It is so hard to wait... and I especially love what you said, "Don't you find that more often than not, the right things for your life come into your path rather than you stepping into their path?" SO TRUE!
Call me sometime!

Heather said...

Love rainbows and you. I haven't seen a rainbow in quite sometime either (if only it would actually rain during the day here!) Love your last line...always needed to be reminded of that.

Unknown said...

thanks heath...I'm honored...you need a rainbow maker! i'll tell you what it is sometime. hope all goes well with your life changes coming up...love!

jeanine said...

So I notice on your birthday ticker that you are still in a wheelchair... and now royce is a black astronaut?