Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Big changes

This will have to be fast. But here's a quick update.

A week ago Friday, hours before we were supposed to fly out to go to Disney World with my brother and his family, I was offered a job I had interviewed for the previous Monday. And the job, let me tell you, is fantastic. I am going to be the music advisor at BYU. If any of you visited your advisors in your advisement center, that's basically me. The School of Music requires all their students to visit with me at least each year, so that's a lot of appointments. Today, on my second day, I met with about 10 students. There's still a lot to learn, so it's a little overwhelming to try and jump into with both feet. I'm really excited though.

The bummer part is that Royce flew back to Texas and he won't be coming here until next week. And then he's going with his family to Idaho to pick up his brother from his mission. So we won't really be together for like another week and a half. We haven't been apart since we got married, so it's pretty heart-breaking. You should all shed a tear for us. I really do miss him though. Talking on the phone just isn't the same. But hey, it's only a couple of weeks. Some people have to separate for more than a year--I think of all these women whose husbands have been in Iraq for what must seem like forever, and then I feel very blessed.

So, there's our story. If we're a little out of touch the next few weeks it's just because we're trying to get moved and settled. Crazy times.

12 comments:

Lindsay said...

Congratulations on the job, Heather! That's fantastic!

lori said...

Heath, I"m so excited about the job - it sounds perfect! And I'm so excited you're back (even though you're missing a significant half!)

CAN'T WAIT TO SEE YOU (tonight, right??)

jeanine said...

That job sounds awesome! Yea Heather! So sad that we didn't get to see you again this summer.

And I totally feel for you about missing your other half. Sometime in the first year we were married, Rich, Bob and their dad went down to Houston to watch an Astros game. I was SO lonely!

Heather said...

CONGRATULATIONS on the new job. Sorry to hear that Royce won't be around but you'll survive. Now that you are back I will have to come see you sometime whenever you can schedule us into your appointments! :)

Heather said...

Hey he will be back in time for your birthday right!?!

Amy F. P. said...

Congratulation! Sounds like it will be a great job.

hchan said...

Haha, I heard about your job from Andrew. That's awesome!! Maybe I'll come masquerade as a music student :)

Don't be lonely! If you get too bored, you can always call and hang out -- though I don't get back till Saturday...

Unknown said...

Happy Happy Birthday!

Heather said...

Amy beat me too it, I guess it pays though to not have a newborn.

You're having a birthday shout horray!!! We want to sing to you today, one year old and wiser too, Happy birthday to you!!!

jeanine said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY HEATHER!!!!

nateandrebecca said...

Congratulations on the job! That is so exciting! And happy birthday! And I hope you are more settled moving in now...we are still working on that!

Snow said...

Hey you're an amazing adviser Heather. Guess what... I have a blog too! peixue.blogspot.com

This is Carrie by the way.