Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Not the post you've been waiting for

So, almost every day I think about how I need to get my rear in gear and post some pictures from our recent adventures, including (but not limited to) our recent trip to Hawaii. But I still haven't uploaded the pictures to my computer, so . . . that will have to wait.

In the meantime, I'm going to get political (which I apologize for). But, I think it's hypocritical of me to feel so strongly about something yet do nothing to further it. I'm talking about the recent ruling about Prop. 8. I'm sure you've all heard about it. I think it's so easy to throw our hands up in the air and say, "Well, we did everything we could to defend marriage in California, but how can we fight against US judges? Plus, gay marriage has been legalized in other states already so it's only a matter of time . . . "

Well, I believe the fight does not have to be over. I subscribe to the National Organization for Marriage emails and try to read about all the ways they are fighting to protect marriage. When I have the means, they are the one organization (other than The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints) that I regularly donate to. With this recent ruling, they are trying to raise funds to take this battle to the Supreme Court. If the Supreme Court determines that Proposition 8 is unconstitutional, it could have dire consequences for marriage in all 50 states. If you feel that you have the means, you can donate by going here (or just search for their website). If you don't have the means right now, just continue to pray for marriage, because that makes a difference as well.

Just finally, I think the words from the Proclamation to the World sum up our responsibility in this regard.

"Further, we warn that the disintegration of the family will bring upon individuals, communities, and nations the calamities foretold by ancient and modern prophets.

"WE CALL UPON responsible citizens and officers of government everywhere to promote those measures designed to maintain and strengthen the family as the fundamental unit of society."

2 comments:

jeanine said...

I agree Heather! I was just sick when I saw that it was overturned AGAIN!

nateandrebecca said...

I also agree. Thanks for this post!

By the way, hope things are going well for you guys...good luck through the busy season!