Friday, June 5, 2009

In shape

When Royce decides he wants to do something, he does it all the way. Most recently, he decided we really needed to take part in BYU's fitness challenge (for every challenge you complete, they give you $25!). So the challenge is to walk 8,000 steps a day for 2-3 months, or do something that equals that amount of steps. Royce faithfully puts his pedometer on in the morning and forces me to walk instead of drive places. So we've been taking walks around our neighborhood, walking to the grocery store, and the most surprising for both of us, walking to the Provo rec center to go swimming.

Now, I've been talking for months about how we both need to go swimming to strengthen our shoulders and back, etc. I didn't think he was ever going to go for it. But on Monday, he pulled out our swimming suits and said, "Let's go." I was excited.

We ended up getting a 6-month membership, which I'm hoping will help motivate us when we don't want to go. We went on Monday and Wednesday to do laps, and yesterday, we went and did . . .


. . . Water Aerobics!

Royce was such a good sport being the only guy in the class. We both thought it was really fun though (and really tiring). I'm hoping we'll do that once a week now--it's a nice change of pace from lap-swimming. We're also hoping to spend 1 or 2 days a week in the weight room, so watch out ya'll. We're going to get buff!

5 comments:

Heather said...

Geez no pictures of the two of you doing water aerobics. Yeah for you though, I am quite impressed. Can I jump on the bandwagon too?

Since when does BYU do challenges and then pays you for them? I definitely graduated too early! :)

heath said...

You definitely have to be a full-time employee, or spouse of an employee. Working here has so many more perks than going to school here.

Angie Lewis said...

Wow...I don't know if I can picture Royce doing water aerobics... It is a fun class though, I used to go to the one at the Provo rec too! Hopefully it's one with lots of old ladies in it - those are the best! :)

Lant Family said...

I love water aerobics! Way to go being active. I did the water aerobic class when I was pregnant with Lucy and I loved it. I made JJ go with me a couple of times because I didn't want to go by myself. He kinda felt silly being the only guy but he enjoyed it--he may not admit to that but I am sure he did.

jeanine said...

You guys are awesome!!! I always get lazy in the summer because it's WAY too hot.