Friday, June 19, 2009

A Hero

*I just discovered a blog of someone who is a real-life hero in my eyes. Anthony (1st Sergeant) Martinez. I've added the link to his blog on my blog-roll, and you can access it here.

Anthony is currently serving in Iraq, for the ???? time (I honestly don't remember if this is the first time or if this is a return visit). You should read his blog. Anthony has an amazing sense of humor as well as an amazing ability to make you feel. (I realize that sounds like an incomplete sentence, but I hate to try and qualify it too much--perhaps you know what I mean.)

How do I know Anthony? He was in my ward growing up. He and his wife Maryann served many times in the Young Women and Young Men organizations and other things associated with mutual. They were the types of leaders that were also your best friends. They thought you were cool to talk to and they made no division between teaching moments and fun moments. Church lessons were entertaining. And activities, like hanging out with them at the Register's, often turned into "Aha!" learning moments.

When I was a teenager Anthony was stationed in Bosnia. For a long time. I don't know how he did it. I don't know how Maryann did it. I think he may have gone back more than once. But he was so positive, and Maryann was so positive. I remember being so excited when he came back to visit for a few days. And I remember being even more excited when he came back for good. I think Maryann painted his car in camouflage as a surprise for his return.

Several years ago Maryann passed away due to complications with the diabetes she had been struggling with for years. I remember at the viewing he was smiling and making everyone feel so good. When I walked through the line he said to me something like, "Doesn't she look just like an angel? She looks so happy." And all I could do was smile back and agree with him. I don't know how he did it.

Awhile after Maryann passed away, he met another amazing woman--Angie. They fell in love and got married. They now have 3 adorable children (I just met them for the first time yesterday). And now he's in Iraq, and I don't know how he's doing it. I don't know how Angie does it. But I'm so grateful that they are willing to put everything on the line to serve for our country. I'll never know all the fear and the heartache and the loneliness that both of them must experience, but I am inspired by them. My heart and my prayers are with them and everyone like them.

*Please feel free to correct any mistakes Kayla. My brain is so fuzzy.

2 comments:

Kelly said...

Well said Heath, well said. Brings back some good memories. . .

Wendy said...

That's really neat. Thank goodness for people like Anthony who have such a bright outlook on life, no matter what they are going through.