I have speech problems. They're not diagnosed, but they're very real. Especially when I'm tired! Often my words slur together, I mix up consonants and vowels, I put part of one word on the end of another, I stutter, I trail off at the end of my sentences, etc. etc.
In casual conversation this poses no real threat. The other party simply points out, "I can't understand a word you're saying." Or they laugh at the blunder I did not realize I just made. It's funny, and makes for great jokes.
But in my professional life, it's not such a good thing. I'm trying to pose as an intelligent advisor; someone who knows what they're talking about. If I can't articulate my thoughts, or when I slur my words together, I don't sound so smart anymore. So I try really hard to speak clearly, and when the occasional faux pas happens, I try to regain ground as quickly as possible.
Now for the story of the day (you knew there was going to be one, huh?). I was meeting with a [male] student who wanted to create a graduation plan. In my mind I was trying to say something along the lines of, "I think this is a great idea to write down what you have left. It really makes things clear when they're written out on paper." But what came out was, "Great! Let's get it on." And my brain stopped there. The active part of my brain is screaming, "Get it on paper! Get it on Paper!!!" Finally, as I try to regain that ground, I say quietly, "Let's put it on paper." Close enough?
Let's just hope that maybe my words were slurring together and trailing off sooner than I think.
12 comments:
That's awesome...I wonder what the poor guy thought! Thanks for sharing! :)
Oh my. That's hilarious, Heath. I love it!
Did the guy say anything back. That's pretty funny. I am glad you guys didn't get it on though.
That's HILARIOUS Heather. I love it!
Oh... what did the guy do?
You make me laugh!!!! (Uncontrollably) We need to get together soon, perhaps over Halloween since you will be in the general vicinity
He didn't say anything--and I didn't see his reaction, because as the words came out of my mouth, I was already in motion to grab a paper from the file.
That's a good one Heather. It would be fun to read his blog entry that day. :)
hahahahaha, reminds me of many a conversation on the mission. You get so excited you get all the right words in all the wrong order. Then you stop, think about it, and try to say it again. I could totally see you putting your hands up in frustration.
I want you to be my advisor!!! SO funny!!
I love it! That's amazing! I once said to a kid out at the hospital would was being admitted for drug use "how high are you?" I was talking in reference to how tall she was ....
Lol! That really is funny!
Post a Comment