Thursday, June 28, 2012

Fires

Two posts in two days?! Apparently I have a lot to say this week.

As many of you know, there are a lot of fires raging in the west right now. It's very sad how much has been destroyed. I just found out yesterday that our family was the recipient of a miracle. My niece, Chanelle, was at Girls' Camp in Sanpete County this week. The fire in that area was spreading faster than anyone anticipated, so the fire marshall booked it up there and told them they had 1 hour to evacuate the camp. Just after they got out of the canyon, the entire canyon was shut down. Less than a couple of hours later, the entire camp was burned to the ground.

I talked to my sister yesterday to see how they were doing and she said that so many people are being affected not only by the fires, but also by the lack of rain. People in that area rely on their farms and gardens for their livelihood; even if they don't sell their goods, many can their produce and live off it for the year.

So our family and many people in the state are using this fast Sunday as an opportunity to fast and pray for the fires to stop spreading, for the people in the area, for the firefighters, and especially for rain so no more fires start. And not just in Utah, but in all of these areas that are so dry. I believe in the power of prayer, fasting, and combined faith, so if you would like to join us I invite you to. As you feel comfortable, spread the word. I know there are many worthy causes to pray and fast for, but thank goodness there's no limit on how much we can pray for. :)

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I got stuck on the way home yesterday because of fires. The kids were sure we were going to be burned...I'm so grateful for prayer!

jeanine said...

Oh my goodness! How scary! I'm glad that your niece is okay. Do you remember Michelle who lived with Kelsy and Emily? They had to be evacuated from their home last week... too too scary!

heath said...

Amy, I'm glad you made it home safely! Royce asked me a couple of days ago if I had checked with you to make sure you got home safely. I didn't--I'm a bad friend!

Jeanine, that is scary. I was looking at the pictures of destroyed homes in Colorado. So devastating! Hope their home is ok!