Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Perspective

Last night as I was loading the dishwasher, I started wondering if any of our future kids (no, not an announcement) would be as particular as I am about things like how to load the dishwasher, etc. It's not such an unlikely scenario--I've seen plenty of friends whose kids mirror them in those ways. I thought back to my own childhood and how by the time I got to the teen stage, I was quite opinionated about house organization, and would actually rearrange things my mom (who is pretty particular herself) had loaded!

And then I started to worry. What if my kids don't match my style of organization? That would drive me crazy! I thought back to an experience I had with a roommate who was (if it's possible) more particular about where things went than I was--perhaps because she had lived there longer (we surprisingly got along really well, but I don't think we could have lived together more than a year). Toward the beginning of our roommate-ship, I took it upon myself to put away some dishes that had been drying in the dish-rack. There was a bowl that I decided to put with some other bowls in one of the cupboards. Later that day I noticed it had been moved to the top of the fridge. Ok . . . This happened 2 or 3 more times within a couple of weeks. I finally conceded, and began to just put the bowl on top of the fridge. It wasn't worth a silent battle of wills.

My train of thought concluded with, what if I had married someone like me? Sometimes I find myself wishing Royce cared more about how things are put away. His philosophy is, they're in the cupboard/drawer, and in the correct cupboard/drawer at that, and that's good enough. But I often catch myself straightening the forks in the silverware tray so they lie in a nice stack, or rearranging the glasses, or re-stacking the bowls in the correct color scheme (no, I'm not kidding). Which I know I shouldn't do, because it undermines Royce's efforts and makes him less likely to want to do it in the future. But I think from now on, when I see that stack of mismatched spoons I'm going to leave it alone, smile, and be grateful that I'm not married to a mirror image of myself. Because that would be a disaster. I need my level-headed man to keep reminding me that in the grand scheme of things (and in the short-term as well) it really doesn't matter what order my colored bowls are in. It just really doesn't.

7 comments:

jeanine said...

Love it Heather! Sometimes it's hard to remember that MY way isn't always the ONLY way.

jeanine said...

ps. I love your 31 by 31 list. I was feeling bad that I never did a 30 by 30 list (and at this point it is much too late!) but maybe I'll do a 31x31 too! I want to know what #5 is... and I have a great cheesecake recipe if you need it :)

Heather said...

hmmmmm...I was worried I was going to be the roommate. We were both very "organized" if you will. I love this post and the new look of the blog. I have your book for you and I loved it (The Bronze Bow). We need to get together to play sometime soon...perhaps a temple trip even this weekend?

heath said...

Jeanine, I would love a good cheesecake recipe. I'll send you an email as a reminder (and so I can tell you my #5). Heather, no worries--you were definitely not the roommate I was referring to. Let's get together soon. This weekend is beyond crazy, but sometime in the next few weeks would be great.

Marianne said...

I love your new blog look...very sophisticated!

I also love this post. I will confess here, because I know my husband won't see it, that I actually UNLOAD THE DIRTY DISHES out of the dishwasher and reload them because he has done it wrong. I've been better lately about not doing that, because I just dont' have time, but I KNOW how it matters sometimes to have things just so. I have found that over the years, many of my weird-ities have just faded away, because there is just too much to keep track of. I can't do it all. But some things still matter, like the dishwasher, and I tell myself it's OK because I've let so many other things go.

And I know I'm right!! ;-)

Marianne said...

Oh, p.s. What's #5?

heath said...

Marianne, you're hilarious. I'm glad I'm not alone. I'll tell you #5 sometime, just not on my blog . . . (you just never know who might be reading, you know).