Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Really?

I had a student in my office today who was trying to discreetly text on his phone while I was explaining his program requirements. Really?! There is nothing more obvious than someone texting and trying to appear to be listening (especially if they're only two feet away). We know your lap isn't that interesting. At least be courteous enough to only try when there are at least 3 people in the room; if I'm really tired, I might be so distracted by your neighbor's sequin shirt or grown-out roots that I won't notice.

5 comments:

jeanine said...

What the heck!? People really need to learn some cell phone etiquette!

Heather said...

I agree with Jeanine...but people just need to learn manners and RESPECT!!! Did you say something to him? Hope you did.

heath said...

No, I didn't say anything. I should have. Each time he would look back down at his phone I would take a long pause and look at him, letting him know that I'm not exactly stupid. I wish I was better at calling students out on things. There was a girl the other day who was wearing a low-cut shirt and I could see her bra (let alone her cleavage, which happens way too often)! I guess I just worry that they won't come in for advisement if I scare them away, and students not coming in for advisement causes a slew of other problems. But it'd probably be good for them if someone confronted them.

Marianne said...

That's kind of sad, actually. Maybe your meaningful pauses gave him the hint...

Brittney said...

dang, I would have said something. But I am disgusted with kids that dont' have respect. Especially in a position of authority. I have no trouble telling my employees they can't wear clubwear (and let their nipples show) at work. Or the girl that copped at attitude when asking for an application that if she can't be nice to me when asking for a job how did she plan to treat my clients.

But then, I'm a brat. I also waited for the missionaries that were two people behind me at Walmart to pay for their groceries partly so I could tell the one elder that was dressed as a skater that he should be in pros just like his comp even on p-day.