Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Objective vs. Subjective

First of all, I feel badly writing a post so soon after Royce wrote his, since he posts so little. So everyone be sure to read and comment on Royce's post!

That being said, I had an experience this morning at work that left a sour taste in my mouth. And the only way I can think to get rid of it is to blog.

Without actually revealing the details of my encounter (I have to be careful since it's work-related), I want to pose some questions to all of you to gather your thoughts on what I believe to be the root of this and other similar situations.

The Question--Which is better: objective or subjective behavior? Here are some definitions to get your thoughts flowing:

objective =
not influenced by personal feelings, interpretations, or prejudice; based on facts.

subjective = the opposite of that (I didn't like any of the definitions I found)

I would maybe add to the definition that in subjective behavior, personal circumstance (including emotional states and motives) are taken into account, while they are not in objective behavior.

What I want to know is, what is the role of objective and subjective behavior/discipline/judgments in our homes, schools, governments, churches, social circles, etc.? Do some of these institutions call for objective actions while the others call for subjective? Or do they all require a mix? Is one or the other more "fair"? Do you find yourself dealing with situations more objectively or subjectively? Can you think of specific situations?

Please don't feel like you have to answer all of those--if you have an opinion on one that would be plenty.

I know this seems so random, but the topic is weighing heavily on my mind right now. I will share my opinions and thoughts on the subject later, but I want to give you the opportunity to comment without my opinion influencing your comments in any way (and I definitely have an opinion, but I'm always open to new and well-thought-out arguments).

And please do comment!! I think that as vague as this topic is, there are some really interesting discussions lurking within it.

7 comments:

Amy F. P. said...

Heather can you email me again. I accidentally pressed delete instead of reply and I don't think I have your new email address. Thanks.

nateandrebecca said...

Oh Heather! I LOVE this topic, because I think it is so important, but often so complicated. It touches almost every subject that anyone can study, and it is something I have thought a lot about!

I don't know what the exact answer is. I think that many things in this world are more objective than people make them. The problem is that people have pushed relativism so much in the world today that it makes it so much harder to pick out truth. People have this idea that something can be right for them, but not for someone else. While individual circumstances vary, a line has to be put down somewhere, or else anything goes. Art is a perfect example of how this happens. More modern techniques/styles during the end of the 1800s eventually lead to paint splattered canvases being sold for millions. And now, no real standard exists at all for art. Anything goes, even the most sloppy, disturbing, disgusting, violent, despicable things you can imagine (or can't imagine, actually). I could probably write an entire essay on all of this and still just touch the surface.

That being said, I still believe that individual circumstances should bear some sway in many things. (You can't expect a person without any artistic talent or training to produce a masterpiece, but that does not mean they should not ever attempt anything artistic.)

This is one reason that I am so glad that I am not the ultimate judge; God is. Thank goodness He is all-knowing, all-loving, just, and merciful!

And I really think that you should listen to this BYU forum by Jean Bethke Elshtain called "How Do We Think about What Is Human?: C. S. Lewis and The Abolition of Man":

http://speeches.byu.edu/?act=viewitem&id=1650&tid=2

And if you ever want to have more of a discussion on this topic with anyone...I am all for it. (It is hard to include many of my thoughts here anyway...)

Brittney said...

I'm confused. I know you can't tell the real situation but can you give me a for instance example?

heath said...

Ok, an example for you: let's use one from parenthood(since that's what stage you're in). How do you view discipline? Do you base it on the days' circumstances, his/her motives (which may sometimes be difficult to know), your mood, your past experience, fairness to future children, etc? The example I had today was scholastic. Do you treat all students the exact same way and base things on paper facts? Or what about with clients--do you treat them all the same, or are there factors that may lead you to take an appointment late in the day.

heath said...

Thanks for your insights Rebecca. I hadn't thought of the topic in that way, but I think you're definitely on to something!

t.t.turner said...

Ah, the eternal dilemma, especially in the fabulous world of music where there's a constant tension between objective and subjective (ahem... juries). Add to that a Church school, and there you go. I remember failing a 160 student and having them come to me in tears because I gave them an F. I pulled out the syllabus, showed the grade criterion they AGREED to, and still buckets of tears came out. "But I was trying my best! I'm really busy with my Church calling!" Mind you, the student didn't practice, missed several lessons without notice... I caved and gave them a C-. I still regret that to this day. I should have stuck to my guns and failed her. ARGH!

Brittney said...

with parenting and discipline it must be objective. No matter the circumstance I have to be consistant or my toddler gets confused. Plus I must keep it based on rules and not my own anger or frustration. Otherwise I am just taking it out on him. discipline is not about anger, it is about teaching. I can't worry about future children, right now this works for him. Each child has different needs. It isn't about fairness, it is about teaching and raising well rounded kids. So I guess when it comes to each kids personal rules and needs of discipline, then it becomes subjective to begin with. You have to set the rules for that person, and the objectively maintain them. Which I guess bleeds into your deal. Each students needs are different regardless of the desired end results. I want all my kids to be happy well rounded honest people. YOu want succesful graduates prepared for the working world. But all people have different learning stlyes and abilities and schedule needs for their own family. So maybe subjective for finding their personal needs but still staying within the regular rules, then objective sticking to the plan and not doing anything they want after the fact.